The Company has continued with its rich educational tradition which it began in the 16th Century. It owns two Schools - Merchant Taylors' School, Sandy Lodge and St John's Preparatory School, Pinner. It is associated with six other Schools by foundation - Merchant Taylors' School, Crosby; Merchant Taylors' School for Girls, Crosby; Wolverhampton Grammar School; Foyle and Londonderry College, Wallingford School and King's School, Macclesfield.
It has links with other educational institutions - see this link for more about our role in Education
In addition the Company administers many charitable trusts created by past Members and benefactors and from this source a wide range of organisations are supported. Help is given to an equally wide range of needy people. Grants are also made from the Company's own funds.
An important aspect of the Company's charitable work is concerned with housing elderly people. The Company's Almshouses, originally in Threadneedle Street, now comprise 32 small houses situated in Lewisham. Built originally between 1826 and 1879 and extensively modernised in recent years they are supervised by a Warden.
Alongside the Company's Almshouses it manages two other sets of Almshouses, Christopher Boone's Almshouses and Archbishop Coggan House, also in the Borough of Lewisham. Through one of the Trusts it administers it owns a Nursing and Residential Care Home at Dowe House in Lewisham and a Nursing Home at Mulberry House in Lewisham - or further information about our Almshouses, please see this link.
The Company is Patron of two Churches, St. Helen's Bishopgate (with St. Andrew Undershaft and St. Ethelburga Bishopsgate and St. Martin Outwich and St. Mary Axe) and also St. Paul's, Swanley. The Company also holds an annual service at St. Michael's Parish Church, Cornhill.
For further information about our charitable activities, please see this link.
Change size of text:
© Merchant Taylors' Company