John Stow refers to the existence of “the Guild and Fraternity of St. John the Baptist, time out of mind called tailors and linen armourers of London” in 1300 - when “they chose Henry de Ryall to be their pilgrim”.
For reference here are downloads of the milestones of the Company's history- please use the following links to download the documents (PDF format):
The History of the Company.
A chronology of the Company's role in Church and Charity.
A chronology of the Company's role in Education.
The History of the Hall.
Membership Index 1530 - 1928 now available online
The Company's Index of Freemen 1530 - 1928, four hugh volumes containing 36,000 names and compiled c.1930, has been transcribed and published by Docklands Ancestors Ltd. Name seraches online are free and full details of any 'hits' are available for a small charge. You can also purchase a CD of the whole Index with the Livery & Freemen Fund receiving a royalty on all sales.
For further details, visit: