Merchant Taylors’ Hall has been on this same site since 1347, when the Company acquired the mansion house of John de Yakeslee, pavilion maker to Edward III. In subsequent years, this mansion will have been altered or cleared away to build a Hall for the Company. The Dining Hall is still the same structure as it was before the Great Fire, and so is the Kitchen. The present Parlour is likely to have been the Court Room. This would give a common medieval layout.
The entire Hall was burnt out in the Great Fire in 1666, and later rebuilt. In 1940 the Dining Hall, Staircase, Parlour and Drawing Room were again burnt out. However the south and east sides of the Hall survived, including the Kitchen, Court Room (of the 1870s, in an Elizabethan style) and Library (1870s).
The present building is a mixture of many different periods, and many small changes have been made to its layout over the centuries. For example, the present western entrance dates only from 1843, and replaced a courtyard entrance where the eastern entrance now is. The cloister dates from 1927. Visible medieval fabric includes the 14th-century crypt beneath the Beadle’s Office; the Kitchen , built in the 1420s and possibly incorporating a door of the 14th century; and the late-15th-century oriel window (now used to display plate) in the north-west corner of the Dining Hall.