The Merchant Taylors’ Company does charitable work through:
- Providing the trustees for and administering ‘Merchant Taylor’ grant-making charities
- Providing the trustees for and administering ‘Merchant Taylor’ educational charities
- Making Company grants to a number of organisations with whom the Company has a longstanding relationship
- Supporting the charity nominated by that year’s Master Merchant Taylor (‘the Master’s Charity’)
- Providing almshouse accommodation in Lewisham.
The Livery and Freemen Fund is the way for Company members to make regular donations to the Company’s charitable work.
‘Merchant Taylor’ grant-making charities
Over time the Company has become responsible for administering a number of grant-making charities for which the Company now provides all the trustees.
These include the following charities which accept unsolicited applications for funding:
The Company’s other major grant-making charities, which receive applications by invitation only, are:
- Merchant Taylors’ Company Charities Fund
- Merchant Taylors’ Consolidated Charities for the Poor.